Chilly mornings, warm afternoons, cool evenings. Blustery wind, sudden downpours, bright sunshine. Whatever autumn holds, you can be sure it often includes four seasons in one day. Which makes it tricky to know what to wear.
Recent press reports have also confirmed what many of us already knew. Women do feel colder in offices than men, preferring an average temperature of 25C (rather than 22C favoured by the guys).
So what’s the solution? Layering. When done well, effective layering can see you through even the most changeable autumn days and keep you warm in chilly offices.
- Invest in the basics. Fine jersey camisoles and vest tops in white or nude make great base layers. Jigsaw and Intimissimi are my go-to brands
- Layer hem lengths. Try a sleeveless longline jacket (Whistles has a lovely black crepe version) or cape over a midi skirt, for example. This looks cool (while keeping you warm)
- Go maxi. An ankle-grazing skirt worn with a buttoned shirt, neat jumper and heels looks chic – see Net A Porter for some gorgeous options
- Layer knits too. Wear a chunky sleeveless longline knit over a crisp longline white shirt or tee to add texture and interest as per the White Company
- Add accessories. A skinny silk scarf around your neck is very ‘now’, and adds a bit of extra warmth (keep jewellery to a minimum with this look). You won’t want to spend a lot on this – Topshop is a good bet
Just remember to keep the total number of layers to three – you don’t want to add bulk. Most of all, experiment and have fun !