It’s officially spring. The weather here in the UK is (slightly) warmer and the clocks go forward this weekend which, happily, means more light. Spring is a great time for cleaning and decluttering, but don’t forget your wardrobe. Here are are my top five tips that will help you keep your wardrobe under control all year round…
- Review it quarterly. Keep your wardrobe organised and wearable by re-examining it every few months. What are you wearing most? What are you not wearing? Do you have too much? Do you need a full detox?
- Make sure everything has a home. Keep shoe boxes, for example, for storing shoes and small accessories such as belts and scarves, and dust bags for protecting handbags and clutches. Drawers should be organised by theme (underwear, nightwear, socks and hosiery) and shelves stacked with easily folded items (jeans, jumpers). Every item in your wardrobe should have its own ‘home’.
- Put items away after wearing or washing. Once everything has a home, make sure you return the item to it after wearing or washing it. This will help you keep things tidy.
- Take care of your clothes. Get items dry cleaned or repaired when they need it. They’ll look better and last longer.
- Pack things away seasonally. This will give you more space and you can actually see what you’ve got. It also gives you a chance to regularly ‘edit’ things. When packing away knitwear, make sure you protect against moths and other nasties – Total Wardrobe Care do some good products.
Happy spring cleaning ! If you think you may be in need of a more complete wardrobe detox, contact me today.